PMI Webinar: Ten Ways to Market a Project
Notes from recorded webinar 10 Ways to Market Your Project.
Marketing: planned series of tasks to promote project to wider audience. Communicate project status and raise project profile.
How Communication Usually Works
– web conferencing
– instant messaging
– status reports
– stakeholder management
These do not create engagement or impact.
Ten Ways to Market Your Project
- Get a good story. What’s in it for them?. Your vision, aligned to business goals with a feasible plan.
- Start with the team. Must sell the project too not against it. Focus on most influential stakeholders
- Be where stakeholders are. Tailor message.
- Vary tools: posters, presentations, wiki, dashboards, pictures, video, reports, competitions, desk drops. Hear message 3-5 times to believe. Avoid overload, manage with calendar.
- Be visual. Youtube, pintrest.
- Proofread communications and marketing materials. Errors erode credibility.
- Have a plan. Create a story within a wider context.
- Plan for a crisis. Single point of contact during incidents. Facts only (no blaming war). Cover stakeholder worries. Be fast. Have a ‘no power’ backup plan. Stay on message.
- Create feedback loops
- Be brave. Certainty is better. Face to face is better for bad news.